Crystals. Finally, a trend that my very Pisces ascendant self can get behind. It’s now largely common to run into folks who are all down for and all about the value of the healing that comes from Earth medicine. What if I told you that there’s a way to grow your experience and your relationship with your crystals? I’ve noticed lately that it seems as though folks purchase crystals and skip on one major step that, when I began to purchase crystals, became extremely important to me. That step? Cleansing.
There are many ways to cleanse your crystals. Cleanse from what, though? Energy that they may have absorbed, that’s what. That rose quartz and that black tourmaline may be intended to absorb negative energy, but crystals need healing and care as well. Our relationships with our crystals are important and need to be cultivated as healing exchanges between the Earth’s gifts and ourselves. In other words: Didn’t you learn manners as a kid? This is a thank you.
Here’s a quick list of a few of my favorite methods for cleansing my crystals:
1. Sea salt. The purer, the dryer, the coarser, the better. Fill a bowl or vessel of your choosing with sea salt and bury your crystals in it for 24 hours. Dump the salt when the cleansing is complete– that salt has absorbed all types of energy, you don’t need that around. Simple, right? This my a absolute favorite way to cleanse my crystals. A caveat, though: Sometimes the salt will get stuck in the crevices of a cluster & split a crystal in more humid conditions. I’d definitely suggest a different method for crystal clusters.
2. Smudging. I mean, if it works for your home and yourself, why wouldn’t it work for your crystals as well? I’ve found that this works best if you have a shell or smudge pot so that you’re able to handle your crystals carefully while enveloping them in the smoke. A smudge stick is just as effective– we all have preferences, right?
3. Moonlight and/or Sunlight. The full moon is the safest route of the two of these because you don’t have to worry about any fading of crystals (if you’re super concerned about aesthetics. Cleansing by sunlight or moonlight are not only effective ways to cleanse your stones, but it’s also an awesome way to energetically charge them as well, dependent upon astrological happenings and transits.
4. Freshwater. It goes without saying that SOME crystals & minerals (y’know, like Himalayan pink salt crystals, halite, selenite, & desert roses) aren’t the exact best for this method. It should also be of note that I’m referring to cool freshwater. When I lived in Tampa, I’d take advantage of the summer storms and place my crystals out on the patio for cleansing. This can also be done with plain tap water. Visualization of the healing and cleansing powers of water is useful here as well. Watch the as the water flows over your crystals and envision all of the negative energy being cleared and cleansed away. Be sure to gently pat them dry and lay them out to ensure that they’re fully dried.
5. Other crystals. Yeah I said it. Selenite plates are the absolute greatest for this because you can just place your crystals on top and move on about your day. However amethyst, clear quartz, kyanite, and carnelian are all stones that you can also use to help with clearing & cleansing your other crystals. As with selenite, place the crystal that needs to be cleansed atop the cleansing crystal & leave it there for a day or 2.
There are several ways to cleanse your crystals and this list isn’t exhaustive. How often they’re cleansed depends on the volume and magnitude of use– that’s up to you to decide. However, it’s always a best practice to show gratitude to your crystals for their healing by treating them to a little TLC.
What are your favorite ways to cleanse your crystals?